A balanced diet, rich in citrus fiber, ensures a healthy and ethical lifestyle
Nowadays people are consuming less and less food containing fiber. Current recommendations for dietary fiber intake for adults in most European countries and in the US are 30-35 g per day for men and 25-32 g per day for women. Overall, adults living in European countries consume dietary fiber around one third below the recommended level, mostly grain-based products, including bread. This consumption is even lower in the US.
For this reason, consumption of food and drinks, rich in citrus fiber, can help assuming the recommended daily intake.
Aglufiber® has been developed to exert excellent functional properties for a wide range of applications. However, being also a good source of dietary fiber, this plant-based ingredient can contribute to the beneficial effects of fibers on human health.
Dietary fiber beneficial properties
Dietary fiber is an essential component of a healthy diet, being appreciated for many effects on health:
- Facilitates weight loss, making feel satiated.
- Reduces levels of bad LDL cholesterol, while increasing good HDL cholesterol by boosting the intestinal waste removal system.
- Slows body’s carbohydrates breakdown and sugar absorption, having a stabilising effect on blood sugar levels and, consequentially, improving insulin sensitivity.
- Reduces inflammations, the cause severe diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and heart diseases.
- Supports the nutrition of the bacterial species beneficial to gut health.
- Helps to improve immune function and maintains colon and intestinal health.
Barber T.M., Kabisch S., Pfeiffer A.F., Weickert M.O., 2020. The Health Benefits of Dietary Fibre. Nutrients, 12(10):3209